Site Content

Apple Memories

Tell us about your first memories of or experience with an Apple product in the comments.

Category: Discussion, Steve Jobs

66 Responses to Apple Memories

1. I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website.
    I really hope to view the same high-grade blog posts from
    you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities
    has encouraged me to get my own blog now ;)

2. George Parker says:

My first encounter with Apple Computers was my purchase of an Apple IIe in 1984. Because packaged programs for the IIe were virtually nonexistent at the time, most purchasers acquired this computer as a novelty item. If you had some programming experience and could write useful programs, you might have been able to justify the purchase on that basis.

What I remember most about the IIe was how stylish it was and how it put at your fingertips, in a small chiseled package, what ten years before was required by a room filled with computer equipment. No more punch cards, no more eight-foot-long perforated computer paper showing you where your program enter a ‘do-loop’. We had truly crossed into a new era where personal computing would become the norm and Apple equipment would help lead the way.

Although Apple has since stumbled a few times, they have remained at the vandguard of the personal computing revolution, thanks to Steve Jobs.

3. Cynthia says:

My computer world is dominated by PC’s – since that what the powers that be contracted with so many moons ago.

My Apple world is not all business – I want to mention the fun Apple – the Ipods, IPads and ITunes – worlds of music, podcasts and books I would never had searched out! Now I just carry them with me.

No only have they impacted my mind – thanks to Ipod (and it’s world of downloads) – I’m 35 pounds thinner and in the best shape of my life! Listening away – I challenge myself daily to lift more weight and run farther and longer.

Is there any part of our lives Steve Jobs didn’t impact?

4. lauren says:

I’m really enjoying this book, even more so than I thought I would (which is saying something, because I was excited when it came out). I can’t actually remember if I had an iPod first or my first iBook. Both of those devices changed how I saw technology. My iBook was in reaction to a terrible series of events with a linux-based computer then a Windows one. My iPod was a surprise present, but made me realize MP3s could really work outside of a computer. My previous MP3 player, a Creative, was not very easy to use, and would hold exactly as much music as a CD would for my disc man. Once I had both these devices, I started seeing technology as more of a tool to help me accomplish things I wanted to do rather than a barrier to getting things done. And I’ve been all mac in my personal life ever since.

5. I took my first computer class in 3rd grade from Mrs. Lublin in a small room behind the gym at Collegiate School in Richmond, VA. We learned how to move the “turtle” (i.e. cursor) and put information on floppy disks that were actually floppy. My dad bought an Apple IIe in the mid-1980s, which we kept in the basement. I used to feel so cool printing my very own birthday cards for family and friends on our dot-matrix printer that took forever! I now own an iPad, iPhone and MacBook Pro and can’t imagine life without Apple products.

6. Roy Wright says:

I had heard about Apple II in the early 80′s but stayed away from them because most folks I knew had PC’s. I assumed that Apple would go the way of the Betamax and I did not want to risk it. I did have first hand experience during a Spreadsheet demonstration at my local college but not much more than that. I am astonished that Apple has met and challenged the competition all these years and I will likely join the crowd with some type of equipment or application in the very near future.

7. Linda says:

The Apple in the photo looks like the one we had in the 90′s handed down from nephews to my sons in Elementary School. I have just retired (PC was used in my work) and switched over to Mac Power Book, IPad2, and IPhone. There is a learning curve but I am loving the switch. Look forward to reading the book! What a wonderful ideas to have an online book club. Thanks WFU!

8. Ed Bunch says:

I never bought an Apple desktop or laptop. When I was at Wake Forest Law School from 1977 to 1980, I didn’t use a computer. Primarily because of the cost and the preferences of the business world, we have been using PCs over the years, but I have always been fascinated by Apple. What sold me, and what I still consider the greatest invention of the 21st century, was the ipod. It transformed the music industry and allows me to indulge my musical pleasures and carry my music with me anywhere. The ipod touch allows the same for photographs, and I enjoy it. Now I have an ipad2. I still work with PCs, but I play with Apple products.

9. Nancy says:

MyMy first experience with the Apple IIe was as a Title One teacher in Wake County. We got the computer first in 1984 because back then, our program had more money. I talked our principal into letting us purchase $100 in new software and the first thing I got was The Print Shop. That was my serendipity moment! I could make greeting cards, banners and such! Oh joy! A few years later I had the pleasure of becoming an Apple Education Consultant and actually selling and installing the first Macs into the New Hanover County Schools. After a few years I went back to teaching in those same schools. I still consider myself an unofficial Apple evangelist. My license plate reads CME4AMAC! It’s read that for more than 20 years since my sales days. I’m no longer teaching, but I still consult with educators and my home is filled with Apple toys. I recently broke my neck and if it wasn’t for my iPad and a typillow I’d have had no communication with the outside world! LOL! You can use those while laying flat on your back in a hospital bed and using a stylus!

10. gerbil gelburd says:

my first computer was 1986, the first mac. i have owned nothing but, my five daughters and my wife and i have always had more than 20 apple products. i started buying stock more than ten years ago and it IS my retirement plan.
    Apple is dear to my being, steve is weird but it took weird to make apple.

• Jennifer Baldwin says:

Gerbil,

Is that you? It’s Jeffie, Nancy Weaver’s little sister. You have 5 daughters? We have 3 grown sons. We are longtime Apple fans and users as well. I cherish you’re wedding gift of 2 mugs with frogs in the bottom:).

Jeffie

11. Byrd Tribble says:

My first Apple computer was an SE, a surprise Christmas gift from my husband Jim in 1987. My daughter Mary, WFU ’80, and son Lewis, WFU ’86, set it up for me. I stared in panic at the blank screen. I did not have a clue. At length, after help from daughter Evelyn, WFU ’78, I took workshops and later used subsequent Macs to design quilts and write a book. For a few years in the 1990′s I went over to the Dark Side, but now we have an assortment of iMacs, iPhones, iPods, MacBook Pros, and iPads. Thank you, Steve Jobs, for making beautiful devices we didn’t know we needed.

12. Isaacson’s book is the best because Steve Jobs cooperated with him giving him a lot of personal access. It is clear that Jobs by his own statements wanted someone to record his legacy which he must have known was reaching a zenith at his prospective demise.

I touch his genius on a regular basis with my iPod (4th gen, 40GB) and “Classic” (180 GB)….40 and 180 times more capacity than my first desktop personal computer with its 1.5 GB and 16 MGs of RAM!! And, of course, when I am listening to virtually my entire music collection on either those or my iPad, not only do all of them perform well but are things of artistic beauty–upon which Jobs was insistent.

There is no one on the horizon who can touch his genius. As an aside, I think he would have been very difficult if one worked for Apple when he was the boss. Thank goodness for the ‘Geeks’ who didn’t care about that and who gave him such loyalty.

I love music and he revolutionized the capacity for incredible experiences with music–and information with all the incredible Apps. Anyone remember their first Sony Walkman? We had no idea what was coming.

13. Patricia Donnelly Maciag says:

1. My first experience…September 1983… I was hired by Apple Computer at the North American Sales Office on 53rd and Madison Avenue in New York City. I was assistant to Bill Coldrick, North American Sales Manager. Steve Jobs frequently visited our office to conduct meetings with Mr. Coldrick. I met Steve Jobs many times. Steve Jobs would telephone me directly to arrange for a technical support person to visit his friend Brooke Shields who was a student at Princeton University. In the early 1980′s, it was not common for college students to have use of a personal computer. Therefore, technical support was not available on college campuses. When Brooke Shields needed technical assistance, I would respond to Steve’s request by arranging a car service to transport a person from our technical support staff from the NYC office to Princeton University.
    I remember the excitement in January 1984 when Apple rolled out the very first Macintosh. It remains a privilege to have been an employee of Apple at that moment in history. I enjoyed having an “inside” perspective while reading STEVE JOBS Biography written by Walter Isaacson.
    I chose to change careers and become a full time mom. A decision which has been extremely rewarding to me spiritually. All 3 of my children are (or soon to be) Wake Forest graduates…Steve (’08), Colleen (’09), and Emily (’12). My husband (Tom) and I could not be more proud of them!
    Since 1983, Apple computers have always been and will continue to be a part of my life. I am submitting my comments with the use of my iPad as my iPhone is ringing for my attention!

14. Don Flowers says:

I was a long time hold out, perhaps the last person in the world to get an Ipod–which was a hand-me-down from a church member and lasted about a month.
    My children got Macs when they went to college, then my wife and they slowly pulled me in. Now I find I can’t maneuver around a PC!
    Love the book, love my Macs, though I am not sure I like Steve Jobs! What a fascinating individual!

15. Sara Gravitt says:

My first recollection was in the first computer class during my senior year at the high school I attended. I vividly remember the teacher telling us how important we learn computer skills because someday we would all have computers in our homes. Little did we know……

16. Tom D says:

I have started reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. I am fan of Isaacson, and have worked for 40 years in information technology. My first home computer was an Apple II+ in late 1979. It was a toy until Woz developed the floppy disk drive and Visicalc became available. With the spreadsheet and basic real work could be done.
    I wonder how many people realize that Steve was a “hippy”; he certainly would not have stayed at Wake Forest in1970. Would he have a place today?
    Currently using an Apple MacBook Pro.

17. Joe says:

First Mac was and Apple II followed by the Apple IIe with upgrade from memory of 16K to 32 and then 64K (Huge machine). I have a Macbook pro, I mac, iPad, 2 iPhones and iPod and have bought the same for my 3 daughters. Form and function are the attractions and the ability to intuit how to use each device. I have not started the book, but will soon.

18. Jason Aquilante says:

Just finished this book the other day and I am now an even bigger fan of Apple than I was before I read the book. An intimidating task at first (600+ pages); but I just couldn’t put it down. My wife uses a Mac and an iPhone. I, unfortunately, am stuck with using company issued Laptop with Windows OS and a Droid….ugghhh.

19. Charles, N.W says:

I have never owned an Apple or a Mac, I do not have a Iphone or Ipod, I got a Nook for my birthday, I have no hype about all the gadgets but I can tell you this; I have read Steve Jobs, I have come to this conclusion:
    genius are born with it
    geeks work at it
    nerds sweat over it
    perfectionists improve it
    great men make the simple great
    Steve Jobs was all the above in one.

20. Amy House says:

My first experience with Apple was actually at Wake Forest — I believe it was 1988, and we got a Mac lab in the basement of the dorm. So I put away my electric typewriter forever. At the time, it seemed like mostly a fancy word processing machine. I did not imagine how computers would change our lives. I’ve owned many Macs since, including the Mac mini I am on now. (Not to mention the iphone and the ipad.)

21. Mary Plesac says:

My first Apple experience was in 1999, volunteering at my kids’ elementary school in the Mac Lab….it glowed blue with all the macs lined up. They were easy to use and the kids seemed to like the way they looked . Fast forward to November 2011 when I got an IPAD 2 as a gift…It is user friendly and it is fun to download apps. It is great to read the NY Times and books now with the backlight.

22. My first experience was in 1985. I was at Thousand Oaks High School in Southern California and our computer lab was all Apple II systems. I wrote my homework on the Apple II and due to the small number of systems in the lab, I would run down to the local Radio Shack and load my program on their demo units to see if they worked. Hurray for BASIC!

I also remember having to run down to Complete Computer Cure on Ventura Boulevard to buy software and they had the software packaged in zip lock bags hanging on the wall…classy!

During Grad school I was too cheap to afford software so I became adept and Hypercard, which I still have on my operational PowerBook 500!

Fast forward to 1997 – having finished a Masters Degree in History and WFU, I decide to hang around and accept the position of Macintosh Lab Manager for the university.

I am still in IS as the Mac dude and Lead Client Technology Specialist. Come say hi!

23. Shannon M. says:

Though I am still resisting the switch from a PC to a Mac (mostly for financial reasons), I joined the Apple crowd back in 2004 when I bought my first iPod. It completely changed the way that I exercised, and it made rides home from Wake for winter break fly by.
    Now I’ve discovered the iPhone, and I finally understand the hype. My husband teases me about it, but even he often steals it away from me to check scores! If you don’t have an iPhone, then you truly don’t have an iPhone! Some great technological ideas are coming from our friends at Apple. Steve Jobs will be missed, but he left behind something great!

24. John Ratliff says:

I am now on my fourth Mac computer. None of them wore out or had to be replaced because of malfunction — technology just overtook them. I now have an iMac and a Mac G4; both of which are great. I’ve never had any computers except Macs and don’t plan on having anything else.

25. Jane Harris says:

My great Aunt Minnie died in the early 80′s and left me $2000. I decided to purchase an Apple IIe. I don’t remember the cost, but I think that I did spend most of the $2000. I purchased the computer, a “green screen” monitor, a printer and one external drive. I also purchased a word processing program that was on a 5 1/4 floppy disk. To write anything, I had to insert the program disk, write my letter, remove the program disk, insert a blank disk that I had formated, and then save my work to the blank disk. Upgrades followed over the next few years: a second external drive, a colored monitor and then, to my childrens’ delight, some kind of joy stick and a few games.
    What a journey we have made with our computers over the past 30 years! Thank you, Steve Jobs

26. MG says:

What’s a “personal computer?” That was the conventional wisdom in 1981 when I was working for a large bank in Dallas TX. The bank had purchased one Apple II – the predecessor to the Apple IIe – and didn’t know what to do with it. They had it hidden away in a back hallway of a lower floor in the 50 story tower the bank occupied. Since I was fresh out of MBA school, they figured I must be a logical candidate to figure it out so they handed me a pile of data to analyze. The Apple II had one program – Visicalc. That was the predecessor to Lotus 123 and subsequently Excel. The keyboard didn’t have a 10 key or cursor keys. I had to move the cursor around in the rudimentary spreadsheet by using the spacebar and the enter key. The RAM on that computer was pitiful – probably only about 16kb. I don’t remember if the Apple II even had a 5 1/4″ floppy disk. When I finally produced a spreadsheet after learning to navigate the nuances of Visicalc, everyone still looked at the Apple II like it had landed from another planet. It was much easier to use a columnar pad and a calculator and then hand that to the typing pool! My, how far we have come!

27. JP says:

Burlington, North Carolina, was the home of Carolina Biological, which had their own very early version (late 1980s) of an Apple store. There was no glass cube (this was Burlington, after all), but the fact that it was a part of a serious scientific supply outfit and dedicated to Apple made the computers on sale there seem different and better somehow than the other options at the time (they were of course more expensive, too). I was too young at the time to appreciate the tightly controlled design aesthetic, but now that I read the Jobs biography it makes sense. I finally convinced my father to shell out for a IIc one year and the styling of it would still put many computers of today to shame. It even made beige beautiful.

28. Mary Beth says:

My first experience with Apple was an Apple II that I got as a hand me down from my sister in law when she moved on to a better, more recent Apple product. (This was probably circa 1991) It looked just like the picture you used, like Lynn said. I remember finding it so easy, and considering it so small(!), much different from my PC experiences. (This was during the time when the PCs I had ran programs on cassette tapes.) While it was a little old even when I got it, it had pretty good graphics and my kids and I used to play “Risk” on it for hours on end. We had to get rid of it when the monitor stopped working. We couldn’t just swap out the monitor, now could we?

29. William Wortman Jr says:

My first Apple was a II-e, Serial Number 777. 64K memory, more than the first computer Duke Power had. Word processing and Multiplan were the words of the day. I sent my son off to college with one, and a printer to produce all those papers and reports an engineering student would need. I have owned Apples and now Macs ever since. My SE became a doorstop and a number of others found their way to some school in Africa or someplace.
    My wife was a die hard Windows gal. I let her use my laptop for a project. She cussed a little bit until she got used to the interface and now she won’t give it back! It sits beside her chair in the living room and gets frequent usage. I just smile. Now she’s eyeing my i-Mac. I have a feeling . . .

30. We bought an Apple computer for my son when he was 5 years old (1989) because this was the type of computer the schools were using. I wasn’t really impressed. But, times have changed and I will likely buy an iPhone… and maybe even a MacBook. If not, I’m sure whatever the next new thing is will be a “must have”.

31. Tom Turlington, BA-'80 says:

Well, a long time ago I purchased my second computer. It was a used original Macintosh. A tough decision. Expensive even though used. The store also sold PC Juniors that were quite a bit cheaper, and they were new. But I went out on a limb and bought the Mac. I have used only Macs since. Bought a Power Computing Mac clone in the few years that clones were allowed. I was just about the only Mac user in my small town and I was often the object of many a PC user’s derision. When internet service came to my town. The guy who ran the ISP told me that he couldn’t help me get a Mac online that I was on my own. So I bought a book and figured it out. Now Macs are quite popular and I must admit their popularity is a little disturbing to me. I quite enjoyed being the lone Mac stalwart and now I am only another Mac user, but a very experienced one mind you! About 8 Macs, 1 Mac clone, 3 Newtons, 2 iPods,1 iPad and an Apple TV later, I am still amazed that it took the rest of the world so long to catch on to marvelous Apple products.

• Roz Tedford (BA '91, MA '94) says:

@Tom – that clone was indeed a rarity – don’t know if you have read that far in the book, but it was indeed a VERY brief window when he allowed clones to exist. I’m surprised he didn’t go around and round them all up and burn them, quite frankly. There was an interesting article the other day about now that Apple is so popular, it shouldn’t be called a cult any more – I’ll try to find it and post in a later blog!

32. Kathy Bryant says:

My first Mac experience was on the second floor of Reynolda Hall in the late summer/early fall of 1985, my senior year. That was the year that the OG&B made the leap to computers for copy writing/editing and typesetting. We wrote and edited each issue’s copy on the Macs and then sent it down to be printed on thermographic paper somewhere in the physical plant, I think. Then we’d retrieve the printed version and use that to paste up the pages to go on press. It wasn’t long before we started using the Macs for school assignments. Pretty soon it seemed like someone from the OG&B staff was always on one of those computers, all hours of the day and night. It was so fun (and caused so many late nights) to move from no computer knowledge to daily use in about a week total.

33. Rachael Garrity says:

I was living in DC in 1985, and joined an organization called the World Presidents’ Organization when it moved its headquarters from Long Island to DC. It was an all-Mac office, and my first experience. Today, I live in Radford, VA, less than 20 miles from Blacksburg and Virginia Tech, home of what I believe is the most extensive installation of Mac platform equipment in an institutional setting. I remember well when WFU began the collaborative agreement with IBM and installed classroom connections. Those of us on the alumni council at that time were treated to a demonstration. I was at once excited and disappointed — excited that WFU was on a path-breaking track, and disappointed that it wasn’t with Apple. When I left full-time employment to begin my own business of writing, editing and publishing services (now including book design) there was no question about what the equipment would be!

• Roz Tedford says:

Rachael – I was on campus when WFU made that decision to go with IBM as well and you were not the only one who felt it a bittersweet transition. I was working in the library and the library took responsibility for all computer training for faculty and students on the new laptops. I became a trainer and thus I took the PC path for many years. But we see more and more Macs on campus in the hands of students and faculty each year. Steve Jobs is probably smiling down ;)

34. Brian Siska says:

I was working at the Pillsbury Company in 1984 and a few people had managed to talk IT into allowing them to purchase Macs. One was an operations manager that I was doing a project with, and he gave me some basic instruction on the Mac (identical to the one in your photo). I remember liking it, but didn’t really have time to learn to use it fully. I spent the next 16 years of my life on pc’s, but bought an iMac in 2001 solely so I could use the first iPod which was Mac only.

35. Sarah says:

My first computer was an Apple IIe when I was in the 4th grade. I also had a Mac and a printer in college. I remember typing all my papers on my Mac and my college roommate also used it for her papers, too.

36. Judith Hiott says:

I loved to write at Wake Forest but I have always been a terrible to mediocre typist. I got through Wake Forest by handwriting my papers until a professor told me I had to type them which was almost never. Thank God for my legible handwriting and gracious professors.

I went to Missoula, MT in the fall of 1984 to get an MFA in creative writing. I knew that I wasn’t going to get away without typing in creative writing school, and I heard from someone that there was a lab full of computers on campus. When I found it, it was a room full of Apple IIe’s with dual floppy drives. I got myself a floppy disk and have been writing on computers ever since. Shortly after that, I discovered that my friends Neile Graham and Jim Gurley had a Mac so I saw and used my first Mac the same year.

I now work in IT in a library setting. I still type 40 words a minute with six fingers and typos. It has been an interesting road from that first Apple IIe.

37. Roz says:

Man, @Angela and @Joe, I remember those early WFU Mac Labs. The one in Vegas (along that crazy hallway between Bostwick and Johnson) got me through my Senior year – I remember always hoping to get one with the dual drives, so you didn’t have to keep ejecting your OS floppy to put in the floppy you wanted to save your papers on. Thanks for the memories, all!!

38. Pat Taylor says:

I was the first publisher in N.C. to break away from traditional publishing equipment and begin to produce a newspaper using Mac products. Late in 1985, we bought five Mac Plus machines and a five megabyte hard drive at our weekly paper and set it up to produce news copy and ads. It was a giant leap forward, even thought the font selection was very limited, and we still had to wax and paste the plain paper content onto a full sized layout page. These were shot with a large format camera, made into plates, etc. in the cold press manner. The cost for the system was about $20,000, but when compared to a replacement Compugraphic typesetter at twice the price, I took the leap. A few months later, I was being asked to come and talk to other newspapers around the state about what I had done. Somebody had to go first. A couple of years later I published my second book on advertising sales using a MAC SE and early Pagemaker software. It too was fairly crude, but was “good enough” and I was part of a new independent publishing movement. The book eventually sold all over the world, and I was asked to speak all over the US and Russia as a trainer. So, I owe a lot to MACs and I still use a (much newer) MAC every day.

• Roz Tedford says:

Pat – that is so fascinating. Remember when a 5MB hard drive was HUGE?? And I don’t know how far into the book you may be, but the whole discussion of typography and fonts was so fascinating to me! And I used to teach classes in Pagemaker – ahhh, the memories!

39. Angela Gray Kirkman says:

@Lynn Sutton — we have one, too! :)
    My first real experience with a Mac was at WFU (before that it was Wangs!) Student Union had one, and my roommate got one our senior year (1989). Took writing term papers to a whole new level and I fell in love with spellcheck for life! We drank the koolaid, too, Ros. My daughter got into the game with a Nano this Christmas.

40. Believe it or not, my first experience with Apple was the computer lab in the basement of New Dorm (now Luter). The year was 1986 and the personal computer was just entering mainstream culture. I learned to type on an IBM Selectric and was amazed at how much better a computer made the writing process. I rediscovered Apple a few years ago and would never go back. I’m looking forward to reading this book and discussing it with others.

41. chaetura says:

I was in the 8th grade (84-85) when my father bought the Macintosh 512. I still have that computer and it still works. I, too, had a series of PC’s after that first experience. I now have the iMac, 2 macbook pro’s, iPod Classic, iPad and the iPhone. I am apple all the way.

42. Jaak Rannik says:

This first Apple computer that I saw was an Apple II E that my father bought us for Christmas. I guess it would have been in 1983 or 1984. Unlike the Macintosh, it did not have an integrated computer screen, so we connected it to an old 13¨ TV that we had in the house. 2 external disk drives (5¨ floppy disks) served as the base for the 13¨ TV. There was no internal hard drive, no icons, no mouse, and the interface was all through the keyboard with DOS or DOS-like commands. The kid who lived next door (Mark) was a first generation computer whiz (much like the character played by Matthew Broderick on War Games). He even had one of those modems in which you actually had to rest the phone handset on top of it. Mark copied more than 50 games for us and Dad bought us a Joystick. A few years later we upgraded to the Macintosh, which now included the GUI and the mouse that the Apple II was missing.

43. GE says:

I’m a newbie to the Apple world, having gone totally Mac (except for my Droid phone — which hopefully I can upgrade to an iPhone in a year…) as of last Spring. But now I can never go back! I use a MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and an iPad on a daily basis. So excited to learn more about Steve Jobs in his biography!

44. Susan Smith says:

My first Apple computer was in 1984 when I bought an Apple IIc for a family Christmas present. It didn’t have a hard drive, used a 5 1/2 floppy (to run AppleWorks!) and had a modem I used to do online banking with NCNB. Turns out that once the bank received the transmission of my chosen payments, some poor bank clerical wrote out a paper check and mailed it to the payee. And, the computer and printer ran us over $3,000. It was so cool, I didn’t even blink spending that amount of money.

45. Giz Womack says:

In 1983 I was a junior at Darlington School in Rome, Georgia. Mr. Buice taught a computer science class where I programmed in BASIC on an Apple IIe. Steve Jobs made it cool to be a geek back then (well, cooler to me anyway!) This class was an easy “A” for me as I had attended the Duke University Computer Camp the prior summer, (we all watched “Star Trek” and “Dr. Who” when we weren’t programming, can you say “nerds”) writing a Lunar Lander program in BASIC on the first IBM Personal PC. The year before that I had purchased a Sinclair ZX81 for $199, connected it to my black and white Philco TV in my room and started copying programs from “BASIC” magazine. Like Roz, I got a Macintosh SE in college, but mine had a hard drive, woohoo! My friend, Penny, wrote her thesis on that computer and printed it on my dot matrix ImageWriter II printer. After college I had a Mac PowerBook 140, and a color Powerbook 520c. There was a long, dark time after that when I was all PC, but the 3rd generation iPod and iTunes for the PC brought me back to the fold in 2003. I bought my first iPhone 3G in 2008 and have owned every model since then! (I buy a new one every year!) Since 2009 I’ve had a MacBook Pro as my home computer. I recently traded my iPad in for a Kindle Fire, but think there is an iPad 3 in my future! There is something about the combination of form and function that makes any Apple product almost irresistible to me!

46. Pat says:

I was living and working in Japan. And Apple was actually my first introduction to computers. I remember the little smiling computer face that would pop up. I loved it from day one. Since that time, I have owned three desktop Apples, two laptops, five iPods, four iPhones and one iPad. I’m an Apple girl…”til the day I die!”

47. MK says:

I nearly forgot my Apple TV and iPad. Both of which I adore. Man, am I an addict.

48. MK says:

My first Apple experience was in the third grade. We all used Apple IIe computers at Moore School in the Media Library. You used to have to “boot them up” with huge floppy disks. I have had had 2 ipods, an ipod mini, a powerbook, a couple of imacs, 2 iphones and my current MacBookPro, which is the best computer I’ve ever owned.

49. Lynn Sutton says:

I haven’t read the book yet but I have a computer in my closet at home right now that looks exactly like the one shown . My husband won’t let me get rid of it. Apple is personal!

50. Roz Tedford says:

I first saw an Apple in my senior year of high school (1985-1986) in a computer science class. It was more of a novelty – we did most of our work in BASIC and not on the one Apple. But then my family got a Macintosh SE (one with the two disc drives – fancy) while I was in college at WFU (spending an astronomical amount of money on it by today’s standards). I sometimes went home to work on it to write papers, etc. I loved it. So when I finally bought my first computer while in grad school at WFU in 1993, it was a PowerMac. We’ve had a variety of computers over the years (and I use PCs at work and at home) but right now my family has an Apple Desktop and a Laptop, two iPhones, one iPad, an iPod nano and an iPod touch (and my husband is jonesing for AppleTV). We’ve drunk the koolaid lock, stock and barrel. Can’t wait to start discussing this book with everyone!!